A GPG key pair has been transferred to a new machine, but the passphrase for the private key is not working in the new device.Edit me
PGP - Issues with Key Transfer
Troubleshooting issue with key not working after transfer to new machine
The passphrase for a private PGP key is not working after the key pair was transferred from a different machine, but the key can be successfully used in the old device.
Guide the client through the following steps:
In the old machine:
- Change the passphrase for the private key in the old machine to a simpler one.
- Copy the folder
~/.gnupgto a secure USB stick.
In the new machine:
- Close all of the programs related to gpg, including Thunderbird, OpenGPG, GPG Keychain, etc.
- Back up the folder
- Delete the content of the
- Copy the files in the
.gnupgfolder in the USB stick to the folder
- Change the passphrase for the private key again. It should be a long and strong passphrase.
- Test the key in Thunderbird with the new passphrase.